6 Nov 2013

Animation: Stop-Motion



This is my stop-motion animation based on the quote "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

I used playing cards as they were easily accessible and had a certain relevance to the Vietnam war in which it was an activity soldiers would do in their down time.
The idea behind the animation was to use a growing and decreasing stack of cards to symbolize speech, possibly also using the cards movement to emphasize certain words or noises.

I used a piece of black card for the background and marked a spot in the middle to allow me to easily switch and move arounds cards while keeping them central. I has made a document to aid me in the stop-motion process by marking out key in-and-out points and at what frame they would take place. The fact that my animation was 4 seconds at 25fps (100 frames) made this easy for me as I would have to take exactly 100 pictures.

I am not as pleased with this as my previous animations as I feel like I didn't plan the actual animation itself well enough. Although it does come together as flowing movement, I don't feel the cards animated well enough to the quote, there are two ways I would personally amend this.
The first being I would have used more significant changes in the stacking of cards, in this animation I used at maximum of around 8-10 cards, which now I see should be significantly more to notice the change in height.
The other would be leaving at least 1 frame of a blank card between words, as all the cards seem to flash by in a flurry of colours, having the 1 blank card would have most likely led to the animation being easier to distinguish between words, and thus portraying the quote in a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment